Maccabi Tel Aviv captures the Toto Cup, plus all of the other Israel Football recaps

Maccabi Tel Aviv captured the Toto Cup for the 7th time by defeating Bnei Sakhnin 2-0 at Doha Stadium in the Galilee. A pair of second half goals by Matan Baltaxa and Dan Bitton helped Giorgis Donis’s side to the title as the yellow-and-blue played with a primarily young squad for the match up due a midweek clash in Lithuania against Suduva in Champions League second round qualifying. Dan Bitton got things started for Maccabi in the 65th minute when his free kick was headed by Itay Shechter right to Baltaxa who put the ball into the back of the goal for a 1-0 lead. As the game headed into injury time, new recruit Ben Bitton sent a beauty of a cross from the left side of the box to an oncoming Dan Bitton who beat the Sakhnin keeper to wrap up the victory.

Hapoel Beer Sheva slipped by Maccabi Haifa 1-0 on a 58th minute goal by Sintayehu Sallalich to secure 5th place in Toto Cup action. David Keltjens found the speedy winger Sallalich who made mistake as he put the ball past Greens keeper Josh Cohen for the win ahead of their Europa League clash against Dinamo Batumi on Thursday.

Beitar Jerusalem got by Maccabi Netanya 1-0 on a brilliant second half goal by Shalom Edri to help the capital city side finish in 3rd place in Toto Cup play. Edri finished off an excellent team attack which he began to give Roni Levy’s squad the victory at the Netanya Stadium. Beitar will now get ready to fly to Albania for their Europa League game at Tueta Durres.

Bnei Yehuda downed Hapoel Kfar Saba 2-1 at Bloomfield Stadium. Luwagga Kizito opened the scoring when the Ugandan winger took advantage of a Dan Mori error to give Kfar Saba a 1-0 lead. However, a pair of Bnei Yehuda second half substitutes wiped out the deficit as Ariel Lazmi headed home the tying goal in the 66th minute and Amit Zenati scored twenty minutes later from inside the box to take the win for Elisha Levy’s squad.

Hapoel Hadera dropped Hapoel Haifa 4-2 at the Netanya Stadium in a game that saw three goals scored during injury time. Odah Marshall scored a first half brace for Hadera, but William Agada answered for the Carmel Reds in the 55th minute to cut the lead to 2-1. Shoval Gozlan helped Sharon Mimer’s team regain a two goal lead in injury time, but Gal Arel scored from the penalty spot to once again cut the Hadera lead to 3-2. However, Reef Mesika buried a gorgeous team play to seal the deal for the hosts as the referee finally blew the final whistle to end the game.

Kiryat Shemona blanked Ashdod 2-0 in the northern capital as a first half Lucio goal and a second half Guy Ben Lulu strike helped Kobi Refuah’s side to the victory.


You may also like…