Haifa and Maccabi Tel Aviv win setting up Wednesday’s Israeli Classico

Maccabi Haifa downed Bnei Sakhnin 3-0 as they continued to top the table 8 points ahead of Maccabi Tel Aviv as they ready to do battle in Wednesday night. Sakhinn entered the matchup after having a number of players unavailable due to the coronavirus. Dolev Haziza set up Sun Menachem on the first goal at the 40th minute while the league’s goal leader Nikita Rukavytsya used a 65th spot kick to double the advantage. Haziza then wrapped up the victory with an injury time penalty to give the Greens and head coach Barak Bachar the 3 points.

Maccabi Tel Aviv dominated Maccabi Netanya 3-1 in a one-sided affair as the yellow-and-blue ready for their big clash later in the week with Maccabi Haifa. Yonatan Cohen opened the scoring as he finished off a nice passing play by Tal Ben Chaim and Itay Shechter to give Patrick van Leeuwen’s squad a 1-0 lead in the 24th minute. Dor Peretz took care of a brilliant long pass from ‘keeper Daniel Tenenbaum after a brutal error by Kellian van der Kaap and put the ball by Dani Amos for a 2-0 lead ahead of the break. Substitutes Elyon Almog, Matan Hozez and Eduardo Guerrero teamed up as the latter found the back of the goal in the 79th minute to go up 3-0 as Kevaughn Frater pulled a late strike back to get on the board and break the shutout.

Beitar Jerusalem blanked Kiryat Shemona 2-0 up north as the yellow-and-black earned the 3-points. Ali Muhammad opened up the scoring early on as the midfielder headed home a Shay Konstantin cross to in the 2nd minute. Yarden Shua added a 50th minute insurance marker as he beat two defenders and placed the ball perfectly into the right corner of the goal for the 2-0 victory. During the course of the game, Roie Fadida who was not with the team, tested positive for the coronavirus.”

Maccabi Petah Tikva stunned Ashdod 2-1 as starlet Liel Abada scored a 91st minute header to take the 3 points. Ashdod grabbed a 1-0 lead on a Sagiv Yehezkel strike in the 16th minute but Armando Cooper slotted home a penalty seven minutes later after Or Inbrum was yanked down in the box.

Abada looked to have given Guy Luzon’s squad the lead right before halftime but his goal was ruled to be offside by the Virtual Assistant Referee (VAR), however he made up for it as the match went into second half injury time. Daniel Golani raced to keep the ball in the field of play on the sideline and then sent a pinpoint perfect cross into the box that Abada headed behind Yoav Gerafi to secure the victory.

Hapoel Tel Aviv and Hapoel Haifa played to a dramatic 2-2 draw in a game that featured 3 penalties at Bloomfield Stadium. Ben Bitton who was making his debut with the Reds lofted a ball in the box that Ruslan Barsky handled for the first spot kick of the match which Omri Altman promptly put behind Haifa ‘keeper Ran Kadosh for a 1-0 lead in the 22nd minute. Just ten minutes later Altman doubled the advantage via a second penalty after yet another handball in the box this time by Dor Malul.

However, in the 42nd minute William Agada was pulled down in the area giving Hanan Maman the opportunity from the spot to pull within a goal at 2-1 in favor of Hapoel Tel Aviv. Haim Silvas’s Carmel Reds pressed throughout the second half and their hard work paid off when Raz Stain drew his side even to split the points.

Hapoel Beer Sheva slipped by Hapoel Hadera 1-0 on a 75th minute goals by David Keltjens as Yossi Abuksis’s team took the victory.

Hapoel Kfar Saba dropped Bnei Yehuda 3-1 as Elisha Levy’s squad moved further away from the relegation zone with the 3-points. Muhammed Ghadir gave Bnei Yehuda a quick lead but goals by Aviv Solomon, Luwagga Kuzito and Omer Fadida helped the Greens take the win.

Sign up for our newsletter


You may also like…


Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates. 

You have Successfully Subscribed!